Wednesday, August 7, 2013

~ ~~ A HUMAN WITHOUT IDENTITY ~~~




An Indian Without Reservation


Everyone I tell so - accepts me as Indian
But nobody wants me to be one.
Everyone really rejects me as Indian
The minute I try to be one.
Keep my hair short, dress just like them



Is all I've done throughout life.
The whites all want me to be just like them,
But they forget - this is my life.

Everyone knows that I'm Indian,
But this really seems to upset them
Forgive and forget that I'm Indian
Is the only way that I can live with them.

But I can't, can't you see, for I am what I am,
And what I am, dammit is Indian!
Though I was raised white American,
I've always been, and will always be...Indian.

They adopted me out just so they could change
My original certificate of birth
But try as they might, they can't rearrange
My Heritage, established at birth.

In this country I can be what I want
As long as what I want isn't Indian,
This is something I cannot flaunt
Still to some, "The only good one's a dead one."


Everyone knows that I am Indian,
And this really seems to upset them
Forgive and forget that I am Indian
Is the only way they'll let me live with them.

But I can't, can't you see, for I am what I am,
And what I am, dammit is Indian.
Though I was raised white American,
I've always been, and will always be...Indian


For I can't, can't you see? For I am what I am,
And what I am, dammit, is Indian.
Though I was raised white American,
I've always been, and will always be...Indian.

I know what I am but by law can't prove it
They claim my record can't be opened now -
That's because at adoption they sealed it
I'm supposed to accept being white now
Some of My People won't accept what I am



Because I'm not from the reservation
But accept that I am because what I am
Is an Indian without reservation!

And everyone knows that I'm Indian,
I don't care that this really upsets them
To forgive and forget that I'm Indian?
I'd much rather live without them.

For I can't, can't you see, for I am what I am,
And what I am, bless it, is Indian.
Though raised by the white American,
I've always been, and will always be:...Indian.



author -- Unknown

http://opossumsally.homestead.com/index1.html



How many times have I heard throughout my travels and in my everyday life the desire of teenagers and adults "wanting to fit in" with the crowd they are in and the crowd wants you the change to fit in with them.  ~~ Wanting to be accepted. This seems like a human need ~~ to be wanted, accepted and loved. I do not have an issue with that. I do have an issue with people attempting to mask themselves and be someone they are not to be loved , wanted and accepted. 

Why is it that some people  have a hard time accepting who they are? This is one of many shelve-in inflicted handicaps we have.

We are one people! We all bleed red. We all share in the  common basic needs for food, water, etc. most of us were born with the same amount of limbs, eyes, etc. Only our words sound different and we may dress differently. The Great Creator gifted us with the ability to compensate for the things we were not given at birth.

What we do with the body given to us  is up to us.  The Spirit can be the engine that guides and drives your body.

Stop looking at the skin color or the shape of your fellow human. See the soul through the eyes and actions which define who you  are. I have said this many times ~~ the eyes are the windows to the soul.

I found a beautiful Native American  poem which is above. I have posted a link to the site where I found this poem. It really hit home with me as I feel I am Native in Spirit. The greatest genocide of humans was to the Native Americans who suffered the greatest discrimination know to mankind.

We need to treat all humans as brothers and sisters and not anyone as an alien life form.



















3 comments:

  1. You need not be an ndn to walk
    The red road, is to be in harmony with the earth.
    You only need the desire and commitment to listen and learn the medicine way.
    It only takes belief, not paperwork. ..another native American with no reservations am I. And in a perfect world, we would love every difference in other cultures. ..in a perfect world, not a perfect storm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasunka, Wado for this reflection. I am blessed by your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your site is amazing! I am lost here reading your thoughts and words of wisdom. I also write poetries and articles on politics. I am happy to be your friend!
    Count on me!

    ReplyDelete